Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weekend reflections

I have a lot of rambles in my head that I want to blog about. We'll see how the stream of consciousness goes!

First, the weekend didn't go quiet as planned. Oh well. It was full of family and that is always a good thing.

On Friday night the Wood's came over with pizza and music. I don't know why we don't stop planning activities and just say, "Let's just sit around the table and talk." Because, well, that's what we do! Their wedding was Chris' and my first public date. While a bit overwhelming, it is a fantastic memory! We've been through a lot, the four of us. They are some of the bestest friends I can imagine being blessed with. There was a situation a few years back (more like several years back!) and I'll never forget Sara saying (obviously paraphrased), "I never thought I'd laugh out loud and have a good time today. It feels good." And, well, I felt the same way when they left our home. Thanks for the years of memories and encouragement...and laughter! Indeed, laughter is good for the soul!

My Mom also stopped by and brought cheese! Isn't that funny?! I obviously come from a family of cheese lovers! She brought a huge thing of sliced cheese and of cheddar cheese. However, I am proud to say that we haven't opened them yet! She also brought the kids tator tots and corn dogs. And, by kids, I do include Chris. Those are two of his favorite foods!

What I really want to write about is Sunday. We went to Lakeside to witness our cousin Loren's baptism. She realized at the age of 14 that she had not truly accepted Christ as her Savior at the age of 8. I really appreciate this. Her honesty and obedience to the Lord. Many "good" people wouldn't wrestle with the issue, but she faced the facts and is now my sister in Christ! Anyhow, she's now 17 (!) and decided to follow in believer's baptism. I always get teary when I witness baptisms. Anyone else? I can't help it. I'll need Valium when my children are baptised!

Ok, I've totally digressed. A lot of our family came to support Loren. Including her mom. Loren's parents are going thru a very hard divorce. It's not pleasant. It makes me very sad and uncomfortable. Even typing this I just got a heavy feeling rush over my heart. Anyhow, it was the first time many of us have seen her in several months. As I was showering Sunday morning, I found myself praying, "Lord, bring a clear message to her that pricks her heart, and..." Wait. The Holy Spirit totally convicted me. I repented and began praying again, "Lord, bring a clear message to me. And everyone else. We are indeed in need of a fresh Word from you." I was mystified at my righteous thoughts. So silly. I'm thankful the Lord quickly whipped me in shape.

So, we first saw her when we got out of our truck. I didn't know how to act. Seriously. I didn't want to be rude, but loving her seemed so undeserved. I kept telling myself a quote from the movie Second Chance (which is FANTASTIC!), "The thing about believing the Bible is that it says that I have to love you. No matter how I may feel." So true. And, I tried to make my heart obey. I didn't engage in chit chat (again, I felt it would be so fake) and focused my attention on Abi (who was being an angel and didn't need tending to!). But, I was pleased that I didn't feel cold. It is a hard situation. And, I'm not even the closest to it!

Anyhow, it's the Lord that changes lives and that is what we were there to celebrate! When the pastor said to open our Bibles to 1 Peter I about died. You see, I love this book. Yet, I don't love it because it's all about how we live our lives. And, it's very convicting. From the first to the last verse. In fact, secretly, I was glad we don't go to our church's Wed night service b/c they've been going thru 1 Peter! (I really believe in being brutally honest on this blog!)

Anyhow, the sermon was on the portion about women being submissive and men honoring their wives. I do enjoy listening to thoughts on this subject. It's so grossly misunderstood. The thing is that the Lord is a God of order. He has an order for everything. Even the home. It's an order that is a tall one...one that doesn't make since to our sin nature (hence, if you're not a Christian being a submissive wife seems totally offensive). And, one that we can't accomplish on our own. It's through having a living relationship with Christ that allows us to do the impossible. When we are focused on being in His will, in honoring Him, and in obeying Him - well, that's when it becomes possible to be submissive. Not a short term front, but true submission that oozes from our hearts and every pore of our bodies. (Not to mention, the scripture specifically refers to husband's coming to the Lord b/c of their wives actions and not words!)

You see, this is right where I am. We have so much stuff going on in our home, so many decisions to make, that my Type A personality gets in the way of the order God has. It's a tough lesson that I'm still learning. But, the Lord is faithful to mold us- if we make ourselves moldable. This past week I worked on Monday at the schools, but was home the rest of the week. On Thursday night, I offered to work at the office on Friday. Because, honestly, I wanted to have adult interaction and a reason to do my hair! We considered it. But, I felt the Holy Spirit pricking my heart. If I really want Chris to take the lead in our home regarding providing for our family and if I really believe God wants me to take care of the kids...then, I need to stick with it. So, I told Chris to go on. And, you know, my home has been cleaner this week than it's been in a while. Our beds have been made. Counters cleaned off and cleaned. Good meals prepared for dinner. The Lord has given me the joy of caring for my family and home. You see, my nature is to go work and make it work. But, God's order is not my order. It's a tough rub, but He's been faithful when I am faithful. All this to say that clearly the Lord had a message for ME on Sunday!

Lastly, because if you're still reading you obviously have other things you need to do, I want to make note that our family is blessed. So much. So much more than I could say in this mere blog. Our family has reached out to us in this time in ways...well, that are truly from the Lord. We cannot express our thanks enough. Know that we could not make it without your love, encouragement, support, and prayers. The Lord is good. All the time.

1 comment:

Kimber said...

I enjoyed reading the update:) Wish we could have been there on Sunday to see Lou baptize and grans birthday party. The 'situation' would have been tough but I am glad she was there.

I have something to send to you, Deb and Mom. I will try to get it in the mail sometime soon (so knowing me, probably next month. haha!)