Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Weird times at the theatre

While I want to write about the adventures of today, I really want to write about what happened (one of two things). The kids, a cousin and her kids, my brother, and I went to the kids movie...$2 each! While in line, I noticed a lady in line that I use to "know." By "know" I mean use to sing in the choir with, went to the same Bible study, went to the same college (although not at the same time), and many more random connections. Then, I saw two other ladies and their children...that are all from the above mentioned ways that I know them. I didn't approach lady #1 in line because, frankly, there were a zillion kids and it was SO hot. I was focused on keeping my kids cool and calm while in line.
So, in we go to the line to get refreshments. I knew popcorn would keep the big boy occupied for a while. Anyhow, lady #1 was two people in front of me. She was chatting with another lady, so, again, I didn't disturb her. She did, however, turn around about 6 times. But, I assumed she was looking for the other ladies or waiting for someone else to enter the theatre. But, there was clear eye contact. She even looked at my son! I thought that she might have no recognized me because I was with my brother versus husband.
Anyhow, I went on and got seats in the theatre while my brother waited in line for snacks. I went back to help him. As I approached the line, lady #1 watched me walk up to the line...but just turned her head and pretended to not see me! How bizarre! It was so obvious she saw me, and so obvious she did not want to talk to me! Did she think I was going to invite her out to dinner? Did she think I would wonder why I wasn't invited with her group? Last I checked, anyone can go to the theatre! Mercy sakes! A "hi" isn't that hard...especially when you're an outgoing person...oh, and know the person 3 feet from you!
So, I told my cousin how weird it was that lady #1 didn't acknowledge me. After the movie, we went to lunch and my cousin said the same thing happened with her and lady #1 as we were leaving the theatre! Eye contact and all!
There's a low percent chance that lady #1 will read this post. Lady #1 - it was good to see you and your beautiful many children today at the theatre. Sure wish I could've told you that in person. Next time, don't be afraid to say "hi!" As the movie said "A person is a person, no matter how small they are."

No comments: