Sunday, June 7, 2009

In the zone

Chris and I have an inside joke about the movie "For Love of the Game." Have you seen it? One of the things that stands out about the movie was how he says "zone in the mechanism" before pitching. I'm sure I'm butchering the phrase...but, I'd rather say he gets in the zone. Or...zones everything else out.
This is how it is when we're in God's will. We're zoned in. And, like the movie - everything else blurs out. We don't hear the hecklers, we don't notice the score, we don't even notice our teammates. We are just focused...zoned in...on our purpose.
I am in the middle of a career change. Well, I guess you could say I'm in the middle of two career changes. Anyhow, just know that changes are coming/in the process.
I've had to take a four day course this week. All day long. Cramming material for a state test. All while Chris is off camping and we're at my parents home. Did I mention the days are long? Did I mention for four days? My brain is like mush.
Back to the post...
I have been praying that the Lord would give me wisdom to navigate thru this change. It's easy for me to get caught up in big plans for the future...and miss what I need to be doing now. Or, miss what God is wanting to tell me...because I'm in lala land.
I've been praying for focus, clarity of mind, and discernment. I want to be cautiously aware of the commitment, the expectations, and obligations before I jump in with eyes closed.
Now, if you know me, you know I'm a learning hog. I love to learn. And, I love the challenge of learning. I get excited about the challenge of knowing a whole book of laws and regulations to pass a multi-hour test. Oh, the rush I get! Similar to my advanced statistics course in college. It's almost a sickness how much I enjoy it.
But, I have not been tired throughout the classes...not distracted.
As I drove to class one morning I thought "Why am I so calm? Why am I not tired? Why am I not overwhelmed?" And...it dawned on me...
I'm in the zone.
In the zone of God's peace. In the zone of trusting Him completely. He is guiding me step by step. Or, regulation by regulation. Moment by moment.
Oh, the wonderfulness of resting in Him. I heard someone say on Friday (again, I'll butcher it for sure) that I can rest in an unknown future because I know whom I trust.
And, I know how easy it is to get out of the zone. To get distracted. My need to be in the zone has me protecting my mind - making deliberate decisions to pray more, read the Bible more, listen to Him more. Not wanting to do anything to mess up the zone.
Have you been in the zone lately? Do you desire to be in the zone? Are you tired of the distractions?
Get plugged in to the Word (Proverbs in a great place to start). Make a choice to spend more time in prayer. All through out the day.
These are some of my favorite verses ever...
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. " Jeremiah 29:11-14
Seek Him and you will find him!

No comments: