Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A quick soapbox on you-know-who

Each person has a different set of priorities when selecting a candidate to support. For me, it's a simple ranking. I look at the candidate's position on 1) Abortion, 2) Sanctity of Marriage, and the military and taxes. The single most important is the stance on life. Why? Because one's views on life (when it began, its importance, its worth) tells me a lot about how they make the rest of their decisions and gives me a good idea about where they stand on other topics. This being said, I strongly...STRONGLY...oppose Obama's views on abortion. Strongly. With today's medical technology, there are no medical issues that would require a woman to abort her child to save hers. Scientifically, there is less than a 1% chance that a woman would carry a child that resulted in rape or incest (mainly b/c her body goes thru such shock and trauma that her uterus is not able to accept the egg). And, because I have personally benefited from women choosing adoption versus abortion. I can think of many family members and friends that are results of choosing life.
Yes, it is about choice. But, it's not a choice about abortion or no abortion. It's a choice that should be made before you get to that question. It's the choice to have sex or not. Period. People use the choice for abortion as an excuse for their sexual behavior. It's not usually the married couples that are pondering abortion. Per the Bible (the standard for Truth), sexual relations are only right when between a married man and woman.
So, now that I've made my case, here's my rub with Obama and how it is personal to me. There is a young couple in our church who have been dating for four years. While they attend church 90% of the time and are surrounded by Godly people - they are avid supporters of Obama, abortion, and all the world says is right. And, I do belive it is the younger generation (not that they're much younger than me!) made the difference in Obama winning the election. The views of this young man and woman create great stress with their families. Stress because the parents want to see their children sold out for Jesus.
I wonder where my responsibility lies with helping this young couple develop a Christian worldview. I have two beautiful children that they are crazy about. But, our second was a surprise and there was a lot to work thru. I wonder if I wasn't more open about my struggles (not regarding abortion, but her timing) and my questions that she would see that all is not perfect in the world - but that God was so faithful in giving me peace and joy. No, He didn't and hasn't given me answers to all of my questions, but that doesn't change my trust in Him.
Today's culture tells people that truth is relative and that you should make decisions that make you happy. There is no standard for truth, no standard for right and wrong. And, definitely, no need to take responsibility for your decisions. What a lie. A beautifully wrapped lie that makes Satan roll over laughing as individuals and families fall apart...and as babies are killed.
So, in all my ramblings, I believe I (and others) need to be more open about our struggles and ask for prayer from others. Being honest and candid about our situation assures others that their struggles do not make them weirdo's. But, that we can honestly rely on our brothers and sisters in Christ for assistance, encouragement, and support. Also, it provides a relationship of honesty and trust. Where issues can be discussed openly and without criticism. Where as we grow and encounter new issues we can fall back on the Bible for direction and affirmation.
I understand that the election would not have changed based on the votes of these two. It's not about the election. It's about them, and me, living our lives in a way that honors and pleases God.
Ok, I know this is a long post. But, it is important. Well, it's been important for me.

1 comment:

Caribbean Cindy said...

Love this post. I couldn't be MORE proud of you. I totally use the abortion platform to decide who will get my vote. For me it ranks high above all else. I told that exact thing to one of my neighbors when she wanted to know who I voted for. "So you are for war?" she asked. How did I become "for war" just because I am against abortion!! Good grief! You keep firm on your stand sweet girl and share every chance you get! Love you!