Thursday, February 26, 2009

Growing family

It's true - the Lord is SO good. His goodness is all around. Sometimes I'm just moving too fast to notice it.

My family includes the Thornton's, Osmon's, McDaniel's, McMillan's, King's, Wood's, and many more (yes, Keeling's too!). But, my family also includes Harper's, Haggerton's, Jenkin's, Wagoner's, and many more. These last ones are my missionary family. Families that were our family on the mission field. The memories and loyalties run deep. I loved my childhood growing up in Costa Rica and Mexico. It has shaped who I am as an adult, as a parent, and as a servant of the Lord.

I have stayed most in contact with my lifelong BFF Cindy. We were in each other's weddings and have celebrated many milestones together since. We've known each other since I was 7. Her family moved to Mexico when I was in 9th grade where we picked up our friendship. Today we give each other motherly/wifely advice - well, more like feedback than advice! And, we laugh at the world around us. We have the same interesting since of humor.

My Aunt Cindy was my first mentor. She is the definition of hospitality and encouragement. I got my first recipe from her - Zucchini Bread, and I still make it often! Aunt Cindy always opened her home to me and sent many encouraging notes during the rough teen years. Before we left Mexico, she gave me a cross-stitch with Jeremiah 29:11. I have had that cross-stitch in my home ever since - in a place where I see it daily. Everytime I hear that verse it reminds me of her. We were recently reconnected thanks to the wonder of facebook.

Just two weeks ago I was reconnected with another dear friend - Sarah. We knew each other in Mexico, but lost touch after we moved back to the States. I knew she went to college in Louisiana and eventually got married and had 3 kids - and that her husband worked for WalMart (this is key). Over Christmas I was reading a friend's blog - an entry about her Sunday School's Christmas party and recognized someone in her pictures. As I scrolled, I noticed the captions - and it said Sarah and Ronald. I knew Sarah's husband's name - and it was logical that they could relocate here with WalMart. Two weeks ago, I was at a celebration service for our Association's Director at FBC Bentonville. I commented to my parent's that this is where I thought Sarah went to church. Toward's the end of the service I saw a lady get up near the back of the sanctuary. I took a risk and exited to see if it was Sarah. Sure enough! It was Sarah and her whole family!!! Anyhow, we have talked on the phone a few times - to discover she's lived less than 3 miles from me for the past year!!! Today, Sarah and her daughter Faith came for a play date at our home. We spent hours catching up on our lives - a lot has changed in 12+ years!

I share all of this because I have a heart for missions and missionaries. I often wonder why God has not called my family to serve as missionaries abroad. Or...has he and we haven't been listening? All I know is that the Lord has brought the mission field to me - literally. Via phone, via computer, via living in the same town!

These women know a part of me that cannot be explained, only experienced. They are women whose lives have also been shaped by living abroad. I have been blessed to have them as a teenager - and more blessed to now have them in this phase of my life.

I look forward to many more play dates and opportunities to catch up. I'm get giddy realizing how my family is growing!

Speaking of family - Eli is up from his nap.

4 comments:

Kitty said...

I am so blessed to have you as a daughter, and a sister in Christ.

Mom

Kitty said...

oops, I was in your account :-)

JB and Cindy said...

Awe, what a sweet post, BFF :))) I love you too! How was the time w/ Sarah? I'm jealous I missed the playdate :(

Caribbean Cindy said...

I am truly honored that you would consider me a mentor, Kitty!! It's been great for me to see you grow into such a godly young woman and mother! I love getting to read about your sweet family! You are very special!!