Friday, September 11, 2009

Where I was...

I'll admit. I remembered yesterday that today was Sept 11. But, I hadn't thought about it much today. I was at the church working and not connected to any media. Anyhow, since I've been home, I've caught up on some blogs and watched a Fox News special on that Tuesday.
Here's my story.
I was a junior in college, at Ouachita Baptist University. I had a strategic management test at 11:00. I skipped chapel to do some more studying. Since I knew 95% of the campus would be at chapel, I went to the cafeteria to study. I got my plate and chose a booth as far away from the food (and staff) as possible. As I sat down to enjoy my scrambled eggs (ok, I know, it's weird the details you remember) and get my books out, I noticed the radio was on. I thought that was really odd. I listed for like 10 seconds and thought, "I guess the staff is all into the Left Behind book series on tape." Seriously. I waited a minute or two later. And, I realized they were listening to the news. And, I remember thinking that that was also odd. And, I just felt uncomfortable. Like, the pieces of the puzzle weren't fitting together. Why was the radio on in the caf? Why was it on really really loud? And, what was this about planes and NYC and LA? I decided I was not going to get any studying done in the caf. The best I could do was go back to the room (since the suite was all at chapel) and check in with Fox. As I excited the caf and began walking to the dorm, I glanced at the flag plaza. The maintenance crew were lowering all of the flags. I immediately knew something was wrong. Really wrong. I took the sharp right turn to go behind the Bible building...and then, there were all the people pouring out of JPAC...at 10:15. Chapel starts at 10 and lasts at least 45 minutes. Students were crying, talking, and mainly speed walking to their dorms. I began running and took the stairs 2 at a time, then rushed down the hall (we were the second room to the end). When I entered the room, Abigail and Tara were on my bed watching Fox (they didn't have TV in their room). It was unbelievable what we were seeing. This was a Tuesday and Tara's brother was to deploy to South Korea the next Monday. I remember calling my Mom at work. I had to call back and have them page her. When she got on the phone she began to cry. I'm sure I did to. She had a meeting at the WMT home office that afternoon. Later to find out that they had to park a long way away b/c of the safety precautions they had to take.
I went to my 11am class. The professor, Dr. Kent Faught, let us postpone taking the test if we wanted to. I immediately left and returned to watch the news. I later went over to Chris' house and I remember us sitting on the couch watching the coverage and talking about gas prices. I also remember going to a special prayer service in the plaza.
I also remember watching the President address the country. And, after watching it again tonight, I remember why I so strongly support George W. Bush. Seriously. Regardless how the last few years of his administration went, I am confident that his leadership after that Tuesday was exceptional. And, something every American can be proud of.
This evening has also gotten my blood boiling again about the coward terrorists. And, here's the bottom line. They quickly encountered who the One True God is...and how the eternal pain and torture of hell makes their actions seem like...well, I'll let you finish that line. Bottom line - they are reaping what they sowed.
I am forever thankful to the many service men and women that have and are and will protect our country. When my path crosses a service person, I always make it a point to tell them that I appreciate what they do for my family. And, I mean it with all heart.
With that. I'm off to hold my little girl for a few more minutes.

No comments: