Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The family, trials, and the Lord

As I'm busy trying to work down my to-do list, my thoughts have gone back to a few conversations I had with my cousin this morning. Christians and conservatives (I don't use the terms as mutually exclusive) are under attack at each turn in life.
My cousin was dreading going to a PTA meeting at her sons' school because it is fiercely competitive and to quote her "it is totally acceptable to throw someone under the bus at any time." She also mentioned that 2 dads have such filthy mouths. And, they comment "Oh, don't say that because (insert cousin's name here) is here."
While this seems petty, it is reality. My cousin should be excited and energized at supporting her sons' school. But, there is a dread of facing these people. That's tough. Makes me wonder what PTA will be like when my kids are older.
We also talked about how Satan hates family. I'll say it again. Satan hates the family. And, he will do anything to destroy it. Anything. Everything. Starting with a white lie. Starting with inappropriate TV that plants seeds contrary to God's plan for the family. Starting with noticing and leading to coveting your neighbors any and every thing. Starting with a harsh word. Often it begins slowly. Innocently. Almost not worth the mention. Harmless. And, low-and-behold! Before you know it, the whole thing has fallen apart and you hardly recognize what it use to be.

Yes, I'm rambling a bit.

The Bible tells us this:
"but, each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." James 1:14-15

Sin starts in our minds. Satan uses our minds to deceive and entice us. But, in the end, it still leads to death.

The Bible also tells us this:
"Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:16-17
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2
"I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about that which is evil." Romans 16:19
"Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God." 1 Peter 2:16

And, finally, the Word of God says:
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Don't give up! Guard your mind! Guard your heart! Keep the words of the Lord close to you so that in times of trial you will persevere!

Lots of love to my family!

1 comment:

Day Family said...

Thanks for the encouragement,Kitty!