Sunday, December 12, 2010

To Certain

I love Christmas! Everything, and how everything ultimately draws back to Jesus. So precious! Regardless of what the culture would have us believe, it.is.all.about.Jesus! Also at this time of year we (I'll assume you're like this too) reflect on the past year and begin to look ahead at the new one. Annually we play a game with some family about the "Best of and Worst of" the year. Everything from movie, restaurant, game, life lesson, song, coffee, to sushi, etc. I've been in that mindset for the past few weeks. There has been so many times that the Lord has revealed himself in tangible, personal ways. It would seem silly to others, but to me there is not doubt it was God making himself known to me- at my exact moment of need. I saw this happen with finances, with groceries, with a kind word from a friend, with Scripture literally jumping off of a page at me!
Last week I attended a Christmas dinner with my Dad. The church's praise team was leading us in some carols, including The First Noel. I became overwhelmed with emotion on the second line: "The First Noel, The Angels did say, Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay." It hit me like a ton of bricks! These shepherds were going about their mundane tasks and they received a direct word from God! To certain them! Mr. Webster defines certain as: having no doubts, free from suspicions, determined, resolved, actually existing, sure to happen, and unfailing. Woah!
My 2010 has been full of doubts and unclear direction. But, every time- every time- the Lord's presence has overwhelmed me to certain me. To free my mind of doubts, suspicions, and to give me the resolve to continue- trusting that His word is true, sure, and unfailing!
So, like any 4+ month pregnant woman, I cried. And, cried. And, tried to do so quietly, privately, and ladylike (did I mention I was in a room of pastors...and my Dad?). But, there is no denying how awesome it is that the Lord would choose to reveal himself in a personal way to me- to certain me when I was anything but. How can I not brag on him? How can I not go crazy celebrating his birth? How can I not let him radically change my life? How can I not share him? Oh, the hope and peace He gives. It's like the sweetest tasting thing you could ever imagine. Literally, divine.

2 verses that speak Truth:
"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound." Psalms 4:7
"I love you, O Lord, my strength." Psalms 18:1 (Of David the servant of the Lord. He sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.)

Thank you, Jesus, for certaining me. I love you, O Lord, my strength.


No comments: