Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ice, Ice, Baby

Oh my! Well, it's come - and definitely not gone! We have over an inch of ice everywhere! It's actually been nice because Chris has been home a lot. We debated about going to my parent's home in Siloam Springs because they have a wood burning stove. So, we would atleast have heat if the electricity went out. Well, their electricity went out Tuesday morning. My Dad and brother were working in Springdale (stayed in a hotel Monday night) and Glenda stayed Tuesday night at the hospital to be able to make her shift on Wednesday. Mom's cell phone ran out of battery around noon - she was hunkered down in front of the fire. Chris got off of work at 2pm and I sent him to get Mom. He said Mom had made quiet a little nest for herself on the couch! Of course, she wasn't expecting company and was quiet surprised.
So, we hosted Mom, Dad, and Micah last night at the Centerton Cabin. I cooked a lasagna and chicken fajitas for everyone. A hot meal is always in order when it's super cold outside.
Well, we lost power around 10pm. Micah and Chris took Mom, Eli, Abi, and me to the Hilton in Bentonville. I just couldn't imagine my little ones getting cold. It's one thing for an adult to get cold and layer on the clothes/blankets - but I just couldn't stand the thought of my 3 week old getting super cold. Plus, the weather people were saying that if your power went out Tuesday night then you should be prepared to be without power for up to 36 hours. So, we prepared for the worst at the Hilton! That's how we camp!
Eli thought the hotel was amazing. He had a great time. Our electricity was restored and we are now back home. Micah and Glenda have power, but none at Mom and Dad's. They have a lot of trees down in their neighborhood. It'll probably be this weekend before they have power.
Tonight, our great friend, Dr. R.E. Clark is coming over for brinner. That's breakfast for dinner. In fact, I need to go make the coffee.
We are thankful for heat, hot water, and internet (even though we missed the Biggest Loser last night!). We are also mindful of the thousands of homes without these luxuries. Thankfully it's suppose to get above freezing tomorrow!
I'll post pictures of it all when I can. Until then, enjoy snuggling with the little ones...we sure are!

1 comment:

Guy and Julie said...

Hey!! Just found your blog. Glad you survived the ice storm--I think we were some of the fortunate few who didn't lose power. I don't blame you for taking your baby to the hotel--I would have done the same thing!

On a side note, we have prayed for Dr. Clark for the last couple of years and love him so much. He speaks in our church quite often and is friends with my dad. Small world!