Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Spiritual lessons thru sinus infections

Thoughts from my daily women's devotion...

Don't be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the LORD and turn away from evil. Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones.Proverbs 3:7–8

Well, this is very timely. After Eli's ear infection, I have come down with an acute sinus infection...which led to a bout with pink eye. Thankfully I am able to take some antibiotics.

I have been feeling better and forgot to take my antibiotic yesterday morning. Big mistake. There is a reason I went to the doctor and that the doctor recommended 10 days of medicine. No more missing the horse pills for me!

I appreciate how the verse talks about being impressed with our own wisdom. It is often that I'm impressed with myself. Why? It's not like I've cured some disease or solved a mathematical dilemma. Maybe it's the triumph of making it through another day, balancing my checkbook (sometimes a mathematical dilemma), or making it to the grocery store with Eli without incident. Who knows. But, it does happen.

And, it's usually about that time I start feeling impressed with myself that I begin to rely more on my awesomeness than on the One who gives me talents and opportunities. It is He that I should be relying on to guide my path...and to be thankful for His guidance, provision, and protection.

1 comment:

Day Family said...

Thanks for the great encouragment and transparency! I'm right there with ya.