Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Being fussy with God

This morning while taking the kids to preschool Eli said, "Mom, I don't want to be fussy with God." Which led to a deep discussion on how we can always trust what God tells us in the Bible, on how Goliath and Pharoah were probably in hell, on how Eli doesn't want to go to hell so he can meet his brother Caleb, and on how we need to tell everyone that Jesus loves them so they don't go to hell. And...lots of thinking on my behalf of my 3 1/2 year old's initial comment.



In a typical college-paper-writing move, I looked up Webster's definition of fussy:

-easily upset, irritable, revealing a sometimes extreme concern

-Synonyms: crabby, cranky, grouchy, grumpy, querulous

-Anytonyms: forbearing, long-suffering, patient, tolerant, uncomplaining



Lately, everything I'm studying (Sunday School- 1 Peter, Bible study- Hebrews, Ephesians, personal reading) is about believing God. Not believing in God or believing about God- but, believing God. In the good seasons and in the tough seasons.


"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Heb 12:2-3

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Heb 10:23

"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded." Heb 10:35

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11

"Now to him who is able to do {for you} exceedingly, abundantly, beyond all that we can ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us" Ephesians 3:20

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trails." 1 Peter 1:6

"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed." 1 Peter 1:13

And, I really could go on and on and on of the verses where God specifically commands/expects his children to trust him, to be steadfast, to give thanks, to seek him, and to believe him. Isn't being fussy with God the same as not trusting him?

As a mom, I am easily annoyed to a fault when my kids are fussy with me. Seriously- there's nothing life-threatening about their situation nor do they have any dire need/concern. They're just fussy. And, it.drives.me.mad.

Fussiness is a reflection of discontentment and aggravation and unthankfulness. Sometimes to provoke a querrel. Sometimes to just see if one can get attention.

But, is that how I want God to feel about Kitty Osmon?

The very antonyms of "fussy" reveal the character of God himself. {And, honestly, the way I would prefer my children describe their mother.} Does my attitude towards God reflect belief? Are His commands in the Word enough for me? Or...do I just want to be fussy with Him?

My little boy is wise beyond his years. His mother would be wise to heed his words.

No comments: