Friday, December 18, 2009

Great Awakening Update

I've been trying to get the time to post. Well, let's be honest. Again, I'd still rather read other blogs than update mine! But, now is that moment! Running has been going really well in the past two weeks. Last week I got a bit off-focused. It seems like I get in a regression mode after two weeks. But, I've persevered, thanks to my husband who continues to encourage and gently chastise me if I wonder from the goal!
That being said, he took me to get a new pair of running shoes! And, insoles and socks! What a treat! I had had my other shoes since before I was pregnant with Eli! And, since we don't have health insurance, it's cheaper to get a new pair of shoes than paying to see a podiatrist. Because, well, I have in the past and it's pricey. Plus, an injury would halt my training all together.
The night I got my shoes I was able to run 4 miles straight! So excited! I can't remember the last time I did that! I took yesterday off- my legs were plum tired!
Anyhow, I had been going through my closet and filled two trash bags full of items for Helping Hands. When Chris brought our suitcase in (because we're not procrastinating on the packing front!), it had a bunch of clothes in it that he wanted to know if I wanted to donate. Well, I have two pairs of pants in my closet I try on that really measure my body changes (b/c the scale doesn't cooperate!). And, for the first time, I could zip up the size 8's! Now, they're not quiet ready to wear in public, but it's a start!!!
So, I decided to try on all the "old" clothes. Oh my goodness! There were a size 8, black, Banana Republic pants that Chris got me for my birthday when we were first married...and I can wear them! Yes, the waistband cracked a bit...well...because they haven't been worn in 4 years! But, they're in such good condition that I've not been able to part with them! I also tried on my homecoming dress from my senior year in high school and my going-away dress from my wedding! I told Chris that I can't wait for someone to ask me where I got it and for me to say, "Well, I bought it over 7 years ago for my honeymoon. And, yes, it's taken me another 7 years to get back into it...but, I'm in it!!!" I also tried on the dress I wore to my sister-in-law's wedding this summer - and it's big everywhere! Hurray! I am super pumped about the clothes possibilities that are right around the corner! Thank heavens I have an emotional connection to clothing and didn't throw them out in the past several years! It also reaffirms the value of buying quality classic clothing! When shopping as a teenager/college student my Mom always required that I buy mostly classic clothing pieces. Who knew?! And, yes, I still filled a third bag full of clothes to donate.
So, the new running shoes and "new" clothes really encourages me to keep going! Today is another 3 miler (who knew that would seem so easy?!) and tomorrow is the big 5 miles! I've started charting routes in the neighborhood to run on decent weather days.
Tonight we're having Christmas with my family at our home! I can't wait for the kids (including Chris) to open their presents. Tomorrow we begin the descent South. We'll spend the night in Conway, then drive to Jackson, MS to stay with my dearest college friend and her family. I'm hoping we can run together on Monday! Then, Monday afternoon we head to Louisiana!
On Tuesday Chris and I are going to Gulfport, MS to spend the day shopping and just together. We'll be celebrating 7 years of wedded bliss...and the Gulf Coast brings back lots of memories of early married life. Maybe I'll share some of that on another post.
So, obviously, if you're still reading this, I had a lot to write about. And, the kids are still sleeping, and my home is buzzing (washing machine, dryer, coffee pot, dish washer).
Thanks for enduring the babbling! May you have a wonderful weekend with your family!

2 comments:

-Lou said...

Kitty that is so exciting!!! I've been going through my closet having to take out clothes that are to big for me and it is so fun! maybe not the spending money part...but the buying new clothes that are 3 sizes smaller part is SuPeR fun!!

Ashley said...

girl! Great to hear from you! I totally forgot you had a blog and just put you on my top friends! YAY!!!!

I am so proud of you for getting in size 8's!! That is perfect size! YIPPEE! Keep up the hard work!!